Monday, July 20, 2009

Working the land


Trips up to our land are becoming extremely important in my life. When I am there I feel so at peace and that dreams are achievable. Even though at the moment it is just a barren expanse of desert, to me, it is a blank canvass waiting for an artist to bring it to life. This was a very short over night weekend trip, but it was the first time I was able to bring my tiller and I cleared a large ring around the area that will be a temporary fire pit and a path from the camper. Next time I will clear a bit further because the grass and brush is so dry and there is so much wind that wild fire is a very realistic risk and has to be closely monitored and contained. We won't need a night time fire for some weeks yet as it is still quite warm, though it hasn't really gotten much over 95 during the day and cools down several hours after dark after we have gone to bed. We are looking forward to our up coming projects of fencing and enclosures so that we can move animals up there, building an "adobe" oven and putting in a raised bed garden....already working on ways to amend the sandy soil so that it will retain water and provide the nutrients needed for the vegetables. We will have to keep things on a small scale until we are able to spend a good deal more time up there.....sooner rather than later I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment