Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Herbs....


I am sure that the sight of my very dead AeroGarden does not inspire confidence in my horticultural proficiency and someday soon I will just have to rectify that, however, I am going to tell you today that everyone who cooks should at least attempt to grow some very basic culinary herbs. NOTHING tastes better than fresh ingrediants, and nothing helps store bought produce more than home grown herbs, and ANYONE can grow them. A few must haves are Rosemary, Sage and Thyme, but if you can handle more, might I suggest a varety of Basil, Oregano, Chives and Mint (in a pot because it is very invasive!) and if that is not enough for you go with onions, garlic and ginger or just look into you cuisine and plant what you will use!

Herbs can fit in with just about any garden. I nestle herbs in flower beds as well as my vegetable gardens and they often become a show peice in addition to adding flavor to our foods! AND the aroma from herbs is every bit as delightful in the garden as the flowers. Herbs also tend to be a bit more tollerant and forgiving than other plants, standing up to heat, being drought tollerant and thriving in poor soil conditions. Herbs are so easy to grow that I am always trying new ones to find the best for my cooking ventures or even for their healing properties!

No comments:

Post a Comment